What the research says
The most well-known reason for ED is atherosclerosis, which is a narrowing of the blood vessels.
Numerous things can prompt atherosclerosis, including high cholesterol. That is because a high level of cholesterol in the blood can cause a development of cholesterol in the arteries. That, thusly, can limit these blood vessels.
Researchers have additionally discovered a connection between ED and high cholesterol, which is also called hypercholesterolemia. The connection isn’t completely understood yet, but it has driven specialists to investigate the utilization of cholesterol-lowering medications for the treatment of ED.
Statins and erectile dysfunction (ED)
Statins are medications used to lower cholesterol levels. In a 2017 study on rats, specialists noted improved erectile function following the treatment of high cholesterol with atorvastatin (Lipitor). Lipid levels stayed unaltered.
The specialists presumed that better erectile function was not the consequence of a decrease in cholesterol levels, but instead an improvement in the endothelium. The endothelium is an inside surface in the blood vessels.
Diet, cholesterol, and ED
Eating foods high in cholesterol won’t really affect your blood cholesterol levels. That said, what you eat can at present affect your ED. Ongoing examinations recommend that eating a healthy diet, the Mediterranean diet specifically, can prompt improved side effects.
Staples of the Mediterranean diet include:
- fish and other seafood, such as shrimp and oysters
- fruits, such as apples, grapes, strawberries, and avocados
- vegetables, such as tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, and onions
- whole grains, such as barley and oats
- healthy fats, such as olives and extra-virgin olive oil
- nuts, such as almonds and walnuts
Some of the items you should avoid:
- foods high in trans fats, such as margarine, frozen pizza, and fast food
- foods made with added sugar
- certain vegetable oils, including canola oil
- processed meats and other foods
When to see a doctor
You should visit your doctor when you see any erection issues. ED is generally an indication of a fundamental health problem, so it’s essential to recognize the reason before it becomes increasingly serious.
Watch for ED symptoms such as:
- the failure to get an erection when you need to have sex, regardless of whether you can get an erection at different times
- getting an erection, however, being not able to keep up it long enough to engage in sexual relations
- the failure to get an erection at all
- talk treatment or couples counseling
- exchanging meds in the event that you suspect a medicine is causing ED
- testosterone replacement treatment (TRT)
- utilizing a penis pump
You can likewise utilize drugs to deal with the side effects of ED, including:
- the oral medications avanafil (Stendra), Cenforce D, sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), and
vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn)
- the injectable type of alprostadil (Caverject, Edex)
- the pill suppository type of alprostadil (MUSE)